Cscope Users
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

FAQ & RULES

Firstly, please understand that this forum is not associated with Cscope, or affiliated with Cscope in any way. It is purely a forum set up for fans of Cscope Metal detectors, and for people with questions about Cscope Metal detectors.

We want this forum to be as laid back as possible, but will not allow ANY of the following rules to be broken. Metal Detecting is getting enough bad press as it is at the moment, and we need to adhering to the positive ideas concerning Metal Detecting, together.

These are the rules of this forum. Please follow them.

Illegal Detecting.

We do not support illegal Metal Detecting in any way, shape or form. Any discussion on the positive promotion of Nighthawking, or any other form of illegal detecting will be deleted, and the member, banned.

ISM's

We do not condone racism, sexism, or any other negative ISM's on this forum. Posts will be deleted, and members banned. Aggression Any aggressive posts, be they directed at other members, moderators, or Joe Bloggs down the road will be deleted, and the member banned.

Please adhere to these rules, and treat other members with respect.

New beginner

2 posters

Go down

New beginner Empty New beginner

Post by marty_b Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Hey every I have not long started metal detectingredients and have borrowed a range of doctors from cheap rubbish up to expensive minelab one but the my favourite I have used so far is a c.scope csm2 but I'm struggling finding one for sale. I really my like the simplicity of it with only 2 dials. So hopefully soon I'll find one for sale. Just wondered and views on the c.csope mirage?

marty_b

Back to top Go down

New beginner Empty Re: New beginner

Post by sandcscan Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Marty , I have a mirage, classy relic hunter, it uses two rechargeable 9v, best if they are topped up just before use and spare set carried . I just love this machine, it is a real pleasure to use everytime. Even the cs factory is not allowed to touch it ! BTW, have you tried 3mx ? No better machine to start on .

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:41 am

Often see those old cs2 on flee bay or gumtree. These machines are still used by some very expert bleepers. Great value if you can test before payment. The factory can service them if in reasonable condition.About once a year, a bargain will come up, so don't give up hope. I have been rather badly behaved today, i took the front panel off my 6mx to see what is inside. You should NOT do this. Remove batteries, remove 5 panel screws , the first circuit board ,is connected to another circuit board below by two multipin plugs and must not be twisted or wiggled as this could ruin the delicate pins, some very short wires so this is tricky. The wires from the coil connect to the first circuit board by a plug that needs special tools to manipulate as the gap will not allow curious fingers in. I used a crochet hook and small flat screwdriver. Now the panel can be eased a little, taking care not to wrench on two remaining twin cable wires. There are three small screws with lock washers under holding down the second circuit board. The headphone jack nut and washer remove. Note route of wires in relief cut-outs . A circuit board should not be touched by fingers, hold by edges only. Remove the pcbs' and disconnect the two remaining plugs. Now you can see the main computer chip. Interesting. Note that the wires from coil plug socket will be very close to two capacitors when re-installing, so make sure there is clearance when putting the screws back so as not to strain the pcb. I untwisted these coil wires and divided into pairs with shield wire central. Gave the pcbs' a little clean and lovingly put it all back together. If you get it wrong, will cost say £200 or more to get fixed. I plan to hardwire the coil in at some point in the future, but need a grommet in place of plug socket and need to be sure the cable will not touch the capacitors. She still works great, maybe better. Also did modify the pole so would fit in ww2 D-day parachute pack. Cut handle off level with join on front panel, having first scribed alignment marks, machined ally shaft socket with slot to clear clip nut inserts. Drill and tap for thumb screws. Reduced plastic shaft only enough to suit comfortable use when extended, removed shoulder on shaft so it can telescope right together when the coil is rotated 180' and folded under. Spring loaded pin hole re-drilled and re-fit no problem. Arm rest has spare control box clip under, so had to be trimmed to clear the control box, the slots in the armrest are needed as when c/box is mounted aft the balance tends to make it escape. Foam pad at coil to protect wire from strain when in pack. Do not expose machine to severe heat or shock.

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Some other small modifications i want to do inside control box so it can be easily opened for inspection. I will remove the three mounting posts for inner pcb. Two of them are + - from battery , replace with eye terminals use flat washers at pcb as the lock ones will chew pcb after a few removals. The fixed multipin plugs between pcbs' are adequate to hold the two together. A couple of detachable retaining clips between the pcbs' might also be added. The other reason for this mod is that stress to the fixed inter-pcb pins can be caused during assembly if any one mounting gets even slightly out of line. Exact line-up is required because of the water-resistant seal on control panel, a dab of silicone sealant around this also, i noticed v fine sand had somehow got in.

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Also if coil plug socket required , spacer at fastening point to give more clearance for wires inside. Time to go diggin' ! :-)

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Did notice another problem . The coil flops about on lower stem unless tightened v hard. Same problem 4pi which looked like it might strain web , added thin plastic shim washers under the rubber washers until gap just interference fit , solved it .

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:13 am

Raining again , so didn't go out , anyway , not sure alone out there good idea at mo.... Did notice something , i am getting much deeper air-test on 6mxi when it is raining outside. Free air circulation ventilated windows open. Need to do all sorts of tests to see if correct or what. Maybe in variable air conditioned modded sort of fish tank so can vary temp and humidity. After all , this is vlf , so perhaps see if damp-ground theory might be proved. Does anyone know? Techie says it might be the cables nearby, they certainly make some channels on 4pi buzz on workdays. The mirage , was giving me weather forecasts in all metal mode, with unhappy threshold, some days before approach of pressure systems , but, cant prove anything as it might only be barometric effect on sealed coil rather old now . Submarines do, or used to do, coms close to our frequency, as vlf can travel almost unimpeded according to stuff looked up online :-)

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 am

With 3mx, i see Andy Fraggle stamped out that biz regarding adding a potentiometer threshold that some claimed gave better depth. I got mine adjusted by factory, no way touch it . There is a lot more to the 3 than meets the eye (or ear) . 3 is very capable of dealing with really badly mineralised ground . Even the etrac pros' will give it the nod. They can get a £ deeper, but, the program used then , knocks out gold items. (so the 3 got the treats). Also, that test conducted by t2 (on special setting) if you look around the internet , you will find 3 matched it with a clear crisp signal !

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by sandcscan Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:40 am

Was being v friendly to other detectorists , a young chap wanted to tag along, he had one of the yellow ones. It falsed out like crazy, i had to keep checking over his signals. And the big bro to that machine , same or worse problem . Keep it under your hat , i don't want any more competition . Lol

sandcscan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum